Titles earned this month....
- AKC Scent Work
- Scent Work Container Novice (SCN)
- Scent Work Buried Novice (SBN)
- Scent Work Novice (SWN)
Link to Mookie's titles
What is a title, really? (...a must read!)
November photos are in this album!
November videos are added to this album!
More doin', less writin' this month... Maybe it's because I see the cold weather approaching and want to get out before it really hits!!
Our first trial this month was an AKC Scent Work trial at the Cudahy Kennel Club. They offered only container and exterior searches so Mook had 8 total novice searches over 2 days and qualified in all of them!! This earned him a Scent Work Container Novice title!!
We seem to be out and about a lot! Visits to 3 Hounds (no swimming), Lowes to sniff around the Christmas decorations, new places for practicing scent work (such fun!) and crazy fast runs with Rhys! Most of the agility equipment is away so he has the whole yard to run through and we take daily (weather permitting for me more than him) walks! Some hoops, barrels and jumps will be left out for us to play on when we can. We also visit Jake's resting place and Mookie seems to know what we're doing.
More FUN stuff:
- UKC fun match in Stevens Point at Pawsitively Unleashed. I am always trying to get him to as many new places as possible to train and this was the perfect opportunity!
- Saturday was a UKC nosework fun match. He was a little stressed with the closeness of the dogs I think but did just fine.
- Sunday was a UKC Rally fun match. This was clearly a crap shoot because he is SO not ready for rally trials but, again, I wanted to get him out. He did several of the signs totally spot on looking like he was a seasoned competitor and others he looked at me as if to say "you never taught me what SIT means"!!
- Since haven't gotten into AKC Scent Work trials that offered buried searches we were on the lookout for them. He already has 8 exterior, 6 container and 4 interior successful searches so far so there was this piece missing. SO, off we go to For Your K9 in Elmhurst IL to get those trials! And successful we were passing 3 of 4 and getting the Scent Work Buried Novice title and overall AKC Scent Work Novice Title! On the way home we stopped at Cabela's and Mookie got an eye full of the stuffed animals and picked out a few toys to take home!
- We dipped our toes into a NACSW (National Association of Canine Scent Work) trial and entered an Odor Recognition Test (ORT) passing the Birch and Clove part of it. In the Anise search, he alerted on fringing odor which is not the first time he did that so it clearly is something to work on over the winter. Regardless, he has accomplished more in the last few months than I ever imagined! Thank you to Lynn Busse for the great photos (click here for her website)!
- The regular obedience and rally training is really progressing! I love going to the dog club early before the classes start and just open up the building and work with the Mookster! He is such a fun guy and wants to learn!
- And let's not forget the Turkey Trot in Oshkosh on Thanksgiving Day! We did a walk through on the route the day before with a friend and her dog to be sure Mookie had some experience out and about on the sidewalk and it went well so we joined the event with confidence and had a blast. There were lots of walkers with dogs joined the Dog Jog and 2500 other folks to walk or run the 2 or 5 miles!
- And last of the sports but not least - Barn Hunt! We plan to do a monthly trial or 2 so we did and he found a rat or 2 and missed some also but he LOVES to hunt. Now we just need to teach him to let me know when he knows where they are and not start cataloging them!