Dog love to sniff! Dogs NEED to sniff! And yes there are lots of things they can sniff for! (Google is your friend with this!)
The sport of NOSEWORK or SCENT WORK is a very cool activity for all dogs! I started with Jake, by default actually, when I was having my knees replaced and needed to entertain him for a few winter months. After researching the sport, I started taking online nosework classes from the Fenzi Dog Sport Academy and was immediately hooked on the training. Jake's 5 year journey from zero to UKC Champion and AKC Master Elite and Detective is documented on his website, Rock Star Jake.
Naturally, because I love the sport, I plan to teach it to Mookie. The 3 venues we will start with are:
- AKC Scent Work --- Rulebook
- UKC Nosework --- Rulebook
- NACSW Nosework --- Rulebook
- Detection Dog Trials ---- Rulebook
- The first trial this month was a UKC trial in Wausau at a ROUND BARN that is an event center! What a fun place to search! Day 1, Mookie passed all 6 runs (2 novice each vehicles and interior and 1 advanced run each of vehicles and interior) earning him the Advanced Interior and Advanced Vehicles titles. Day 2 - 8 searches, 8 Qs! Titles - Advanced Containers, Advanced Exterior and Advanced Nosework! Super weekend!
- Fond du Lac AKC weekend! This weekend wasn't Mookie's best but it was a super learning experience! He, as I know, doesn't NOT do well on areas that are/were potty areas!! He got 3/4 exterior just fine but the buried searches on grass next to the kennel club were a disaster! 1/4 after he did so well a week or so before when the searches were on concrete!! Regardless he did get a title. Novice Exterior Elite (SENE)
- NACSW ORT - This Odor Recognition Test was held at Camp Bandy and the final odor Mookie needed was anise which he got with no problem earning him the title!!
- AKC trials
- The Timber Ridge Obedience Club of Central Wisconsin, held a trial at the Plover WI Boys and Girls Club. They offered interior and container searches so Mookie was entered in 2 searches/day each element in both novice and advanced which is 16 searches! After the first morning of passing 2 of 4 I decided instead of just watching him to get involved and make it exciting! I got him excited before the start line and throughout the search. When I was pretty sure it was right I enthusiastically asked him to "show me" and "are you sure" and then called it and he had a party! He was over the top having fun and passed the next 12 searches over the weekend successfully earning him the Scent Work Container Novice Elite (SCNE) title, the Scent Work Container Advanced (SCA) title and the Scent Work Interior Advanced (SIA) title!!
- The Cudahy Kennel Club also held a trial which we attended and entered the buried element, both novice and advanced! The trials were outside and the novice searches were before the rain hit and then the advanced searches were in pouring rain! Regardless, he passed all 4 runs! Day 2, same kind of weather and passed 3 of 4 runs earning him a Scent Work Buried Advanced (SBA) title! So proud of him!
- Our first trial this month was an AKC Scent Work trial at the Cudahy Kennel Club. They offered only container and exterior searches so Mook had 8 total searches over 2 days and qualified in all of them!! This earned him a Container Novice (SCN) title!!
- So now Mookie just needed to get an opportunity to enter a trial what was offering buried hides which is where the odor is buried in sand for novice. We entered 2 trials locally but they filled the first day so no luck there so we decided to drive to For Your K9 in Elmhurst IL that was offering them and YAHOO he passed 3 of the 4 and got the Novice Buried (NB) title and which gave him the overall title of Scent Work Novice (SWN)
- UKC Nosework trial, Wausau WI. Here we earned the following titles: Novice Exterior (NE). Novice Container (NC), Novice Interior (NI), Novice Vehicle (NV), Novice Nosework (NN). Out of the 8 trials in novice and advanced we passed 6 of them.
- AKC Scent Work trial, Greenfield WI. Here we again passed 6 of 8 struggling (as did 60% of the novice dogs) with 2 container searches on grass in the rain! Titles he earned at this trial were: Scent Work Interior Novice (SIN), Scent Work Exterior Novice (SEN)